Netflix and Spacey part ways
Netflix cut all ties with embattled actor and producer Kevin Spacey this week but the company has not necessarily ended its association with House of Cards, the series Spacey starred in. However, the company said that the series has been suspended indefinitely.
“Netflix will not be involved with any further production of House of Cards that includes Kevin Spacey,” the entertainment company said a statement Friday. In that statement, Netflix also announced it will not carry a movie starring Spacey, Gore, currently in post-production. The film is about writer Gore Vidal, whom Spacey plays; he also produced it.
The icon for House of Cards on the Netflix website has been changed, with the image of Spacey, who played Frank Underwood, a ruthless politician who rises to the presidency of the U.S., removed, leaving only the image of Robin Wright, who plays Claire Underwood, Frank’s wife who herself becomes president.
Anthony Rapp allegations
The downfall of Spacey came fast and furious upon the heels of recent comments from actor Anthony Rapp, a star of Star Trek Discovery, who told Buzzfeed that in 1986 at the age of 14 he was sexually accosted by Spacey, then 26.
“While they both performed on Broadway shows,” Buzzfeed wrote. “(Spacey had) invited Rapp over to his apartment for a party, and, at the end of the night, picked Rapp up, placed him on his bed, and climbed on top of him, making a sexual advance.”
Those allegations have lead to a string of others from men involved in theatre, TV and film. According to CNN, 8 people collaborated stories of Spacey and sexual misconduct on the set of House of Cards, some claiming they were victims of unwanted, inappropriate sexual advances and contact from Spacey.
Spacey apology angers some
In an apology to Rapp last week, Spacey came out as gay and many felt it seemed as if he was trying to deflect blame for his actions by suggesting they were in part due to his sexual orientation. Those remarks drew ire from some in the LGBT community, and others.
On Wednesday, Spacey reps said in a statement that the Oscar-winning actor has begun “evaluation and treatment” at an undisclosed location. Also last week, his publicist severed ties with him.
The company that produced House of Cards for Netflix, Media Rights Capital, said that, along with Netflix, they are looking at ways of continuing the series without Spacey’s character. MRC said they would “continue to evaluate a creative path forward for (House of Cards) during the hiatus.”
None of the allegations against Spacey have been proven in a court of law.
Note: Since this story was published other alleged victims of Kevin Spacey have stepped forward. In one instance, a mother, Heather Unruh, claimed Spacey fondled her then 18-year-old’s genitals in a bar in Nantucket in 2016. Unruh said her son was not ready at the time to file a police report on the incident but has done so now. The mother called Spacey a “sexual predator.”